Sunday, March 13, 2011

What's a Party Without Some Extreme Planning?

Because the months are flying by, and it will be April before we even know it, I have officially been consumed with Preston's birthday party planning (well, and because I'm a third grade teacher, the TAKS test, but that's not as fun to talk about)!!  If anyone knows me, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE planning things like this... down to every detail (which can be a bit much for some people).  If you have been around me at all the past couple of weeks or at least within talking distance, you know this is all I am talking about.  Let's just say poor Brad, Candace, Katie, Brooke, Mom, Brittany, (possibly my class- but we won't go there) AND anyone willing to give me a listening ear because that is basically all they hear about... BUT in my diffence- it is Preston's FIRST birthday party, and not only as his mother, but as a perfectionist at heart- I want it to be something we will remember forever.  Not only because of the cake, decorations, presents, etc., but because of the people that will make it such a special event for this little boy.  He is such a lucky little guy to be surrounded by people that love him dearly- and this is a time to get them all together in one room and celebrate what we all have in common- love for my little man:)  He has brought so much joy to so many peoples lives.  Nothing is going to bring him more joy then seeing all of the faces he sees so frequently all in one room all at the same time.  He's going to be in his element that's for sure. 

Now, because you chose to read this, you also get a little dose of my party planning mind.  Candace and I sat down last weekend to "map out" just about anything and everything we could think of when it comes to Party Day- which I should mention here will be on April 23rd (his actual birthday fell on a Saturday this year- couldn't have worked out better). 

Brad and I decided to go with a baseball theme for several reasons: 1.  I think it's a super cute "theme" (even though I'm not usually a "theme" person) 2.  It's boyish but not ridiculous like Toy Story Three, Shrek, etc (and no offense to those who chose those themes- I'm aware that people might also be turned off by the baseball theme- we all have our own opinions)  3.  There are some SUPER cute decorations to go along with this 4.  Food should be relatively inexpensive as the typical ballpark foods are nachos, hot dogs, and popcorn and last, but not least, 5.  Preston is pretty much terrified of any type of sporting equipment (including footballs, basketballs, big bouncy balls, soccer balls, volleyballs, etc) that are bigger than a baseball.  I still can't quite figure out why - but he hates them.  But give him some a baseball and a bat and he's in love.  I guess this means the boy is going to be a baseball player?!?!  I know that he we eventually grow out of his current sport ball phobia- but until then, at the Emerson house, we will just stick with  baseballs and golf balls.  I wouldn't be too upset if the baby turned out to be the next Ian Kinsler or Tiger Woods (minus the whole rescent family issues he's been surrounded by). 

We have decided to make (AKA have Candace help make) pretty much all of the decorations and the CUP CAKES.  Candace is VERY good at carrying out my ideas (which are sometimes overboard), but together, we will make them all come to life.  Baseball wreths, birthday banners, picture frame friend gifts, and so much more:)  We have some serious purchases to make and an entire weekend will need to be devoted, but I know we will get it all done.  Tonight, in fact, Brad and I practiced the cupcakes.  I was very nervous about this and, in fact, didn't even know if I just wanted to do cupcakes, but after several opinions, the consensus was yes on the cupcakes.  Brad and I decided to make them because we think it is something special we can do for Preston (and maybe, just maybe, it will save us about a million dollars due to the rescent obsession with cupcakes).  They aren't going to be perfect, but they are going to be made from the heart (and a box of Betty Crocker mix and icing).  I actually think they turned out pretty descent, but it has officially been decided that I do NOT have a steady hand, and I will NOT be creating the red stripes.  I will do the white icing and Brad will create the stripes.

This week, I plan on getting a lot the projects started... i.e. getting Preston's shirt made, planning his pictures, ordering the invation template, purchasing about 1,000 foam baseballs, laying out a budget (which we all know will be nonexsistant by the end of all of this), and so much more:) 

Keeping my mind busy with details, decorations, and presents does help keep my mind off of the fact that my son will be one.  I will no longer have an infant- I'll have a toddler.  SO- here's to a great party, with great people!  And here's to my denial that turtle is growing up !!