Thursday, May 26, 2011

School's Out for Summer (well, almost)

How is it possible that summer is already here?  I remember being in school dreaming about the long summer days and late summer nights… just simply enjoying the thought of having nothing to do except fun.  Now, being a teacher, the school year seems to fly by (at times). 
Last year this time, I was already on maternity leave.  I had Preston almost exactly six weeks before school was out.   I don’t think I could have possibly mentally prepared myself for that summer.  It was definitely not the long summer days and late summer nights like I remembered them.  The days were long because I learning to be a mother and take care of a newborn, and, as I’m sure you now know, the nights were late because, well, that’s how newborns are.  Last year, I would tell myself, I just can’t wait for next summer- we are going to have so much fun!! 
Now, that summer is here, and to be honest, I am nervous.  I am nervous about being a stay at home mom for 11 weeks (something of which is very unusual to me).  I’m nervous Preston is going to be bored (let’s be honest, I’m also worried I’m going to be bored). I’m nervous he is going to become too dependent on me.  I’m nervous I’m going to become the  stay-at-home that doesn’t get dressed for days (please note I am NOT judging- I think this is ABSOLUETLY necessary at some points- I just prefer to get out of my jammies a majority of the days- not all).  I’m, overall, just nervous. 
I am looking forward to spending quality time with Preston.  I’m hoping to work on things that have been put on the back burner the last couple of weeks because of the excuse, “summer will be here soon and we can work on it then.”  Things such a baby books, closet organization, fit throwing behavior, new night time routines, etc.  I want to make this a memorable summer for myself- not the summer that I was scared to even encounter. 
Because of this, I have already enrolled Preston in “mommy and me” swimming classes for the first two weeks of summer.  I’m very aware that he is in no way really going to learn how to swim in the 30 minute sessions for 7 days.  BUT I am looking forward to hanging with my mommy friends and cute babies for 30 minutes each day.  I’m also hoping there will be an added benefit of some water safety and maybe a little more comfort when in the pool during this time.  (Unfortunately it is an indoor pool, so no sun tan during the lesson).  Aside from the swimming lessons, we also have other play date ideas to go to the aquarium, mall, zoo, Hawaiian Falls, swimming pools, and so much more.  I am blessed beyond belief to have so many friends that have children right around the same age as Preston and are just as eager to get out of the house as me.  In August, we are also planning for Preston’s first plane ride (if only you could know how truly nervous I am about this- I’m SOOOO worried he is going to be the crazy kid on the plane).  We are planning to visit the “Gray” family in Nashville, and we are beyond excited to actually be there- just not getting there!!
So, as I sit here, thinking about what summer 2011 has in store, I’m ready.  Ready for what exactly?  I don’t know, but I’m assuming I’ll figure it out one play date at a timeJ