Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Life (well 5 days) AFTER tubes...

Just a quick update on Preston AFTER tubes...

All seems great!  What a quick recovery he had:)  Surgery was scheduled and started at 7:00 AM.  By 7:05, the doctor was out and letting us know how he did.  They had warned us that children this young usually come out of the anesthesia VERY fussy because they are confused about what is going on (Brad and I still question this because how exactly do they know that is why they are crying?... How do they know it isn't from pain?) 

Anyway, the doctor proceded to take us back to Preston, and I could hear him screaming all the way down the hall.  When I got to the room, a nurse was holding him and trying to comfort him.  He just wasn't having it.  I thought I was prepared for this, but it was pretty tough.  Preston has NEVER been inconsolable- NEVER.  I can always calm him down... but not this time.  Brad made him a bottle and fed it to him (in between the bouts of crying of course).  I then asked the nurse when we could go home, and she told us that by their accounts he has met the standards - woke up, woke up crying, and now eating.  She then said it was just up to us. 

By 7:35, we decided that if he was going to be fussy, we'd just rather deal with it at home rather then there.  On the way home (about a 5 minute drive to our house), Preston feel asleep.  Then, we arrived at the house, and Brad put him down in his crib- the boy passed right out again.  He slept for about 1 1/2 hours and woke up completely normal. 

I went into work about 11:30 (I decided to just take the morning unless their were complications, which clearly there weren't).  When I got back home, Preston was back down and Brad had the entire kitchen SPOTLESS!  (Sometimes I just wish he was a stay-at-home-dad because he is beyond productive when he is home with the baby <clearly, opposed to myself, who does the "surface" cleaning!>)

By Friday morning, it was like nothing had happened!

He seems to be already sleeping better (not that he was a bad sleeper, it just seems better now).

So now that we seem to finally have everything under control, we wait for teeth and the wonderful teething process to begin!