Friday, December 9, 2011

A Ruptured Eardrum Can't Stop ME!

Just when we thought we had everything under control, another curve ball was thrown our way.  Tuesday, Preston’s teacher called me at work to inform me that he had a snot like substance coming from his ear.  (Gross- I know).  I immediately called both his ENT and pediatrician.  Both said he would need to be seen right away.  I left work and rushed my boy to the doctor.  Wouldn’t you know it?  He had a SEVERELY ruptured eardrum.  This is usually caused by a chronic ear infection and a lot of drainage… which we know Preston has had.  They could not believe that when it happened that he was not crying or screaming.  His school said he was perfect aside from the nastiness leaking from his ear. 
They gave us ear drops and an antibiotic to help the healing process.  When I first heard, ruptured eardrum… I was a bit shocked.  After learning about it, I have realized that though it is NOT a great thing to happen, it is not as bad as it seems.  The eardrum will usually heal and patch itself over time.  That time… quite a range.  Of course, I was very concerned on how this was going to affect his surgery which at this time was scheduled for 13 days later.  We called the ENT and Preston has an appointment scheduled for the Thursday before his surgery.  At that time, they will decide if they can still do surgery.  I am honestly sick at my stomach over this.  It is VERY clear that Preston needs this surgery… and waiting, I feel, just puts him at risk for several more complications.  I do know, however, that the doctor knows what he is doing, and if he can’t operate, he can’t operate.  I guess I am just hoping that by the time they see him on Thursday that everything will be healed and ready to go… but it’s all just up in the air now. 
Preston is such an amazing little kid.  Though he looks pathetic… he is acting completely normal.  He has drainage leaking from both eyes, his ear, and nose… you would think this would make for one miserable kid.  Turns out, he just looks miserable.  I will say, the doctors have said that after the ear ruptures, the pain usually subsides.  This is a good thing… but I can’t even let myself think of the pain he was in prior to it bursting (and I didn’t even know).
Here is a video of P playing in the bath Tuesday night (the night of the rupture).  As you can see, he was clearly not really affected by it all.
And on a side note, if you could, please pray this little boy can get his tubes on the 19th!!