Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Second Set of Tubes and Adnoidectomy

Oh my, what a week last week was!!!  Preston's surgery was Monday morning and everything went perfect!  He was able to get the tubes and the doctor also decided to take his adenoids as they were enlarged (and again, common practice with the second set of tubes).  Preston came out of the anesthetic crying, but quickly pepped up once we got him some Sprite.  We were able to leave quickly and stopped off at Whataburger to get Preston (and maybe myself) his favorite breakfast of biscuits and gravy!  He came home, ate, played a bit, and took a great nap!  He was amazing!  You would have NEVER guessed he had surgery!  

Well, that was until Tuesday morning.  My mom came to stay with us, and right after I put the ear drops in, his right ear starting bleeding (quite a bit).  Both of us thought it would be a good idea to have it looked at.  I called the doctor and they got us in right away.  After looking at his ear, he said the tubes looked fine and that the bleeding was from the large amount a fluid that had built up in his ear prior to surgery.  He gave us some more ear drops and told us not to worry and it should only last a couple of days.  During all of this, Preston was acting completely normal and happy... then it was  Tuesday afternoon.
I had a doctor's appointment myself, and I left during nap time.  When he woke up, mom said she could just tell that he didn't feel good.  Oh and she was right.  He was fussy, snotty, and looked so pathetic.  I still wasn't overly concerned as I figured the residual effects were kicking in.  He didn't sleep well Tuesday night and woke up crying (which is VERY rare) early Wednesday morning.  I put him in bed with me and shockingly he slept for another hour or so, but I could still tell he was off.  He had a horrible runny nose and was barely eating or drinking.  

At this time, I called and spoke directly to his doctor who gave him an oral antibiotic and informed me that some children, after the adenoid removal, get an infection and that was why he was feeling the way he did.    I immediately went to pick up the prescription.  I wanted him to feel better as soon as possible.  Preston doesn't let much get him down, and to see him like this made me so sad.  Of course, the medicine required him to eat, which he simply refused to do, so I gave him some anyway.  About 2 1/2 hours later Preston was playing in his playroom and immediately stopped, looked at me, and layed himself down on the floor.  This was a huge UH OH to me as Preston has NEVER just stopped and layed down... never.  Right then, I picked him up, and he threw up just about everywhere on me.  It was SO sad because he has no clue what was going on and I could tell he was miserable.  As soon as he finished, and I cleaned us both up (and wouldn't you know it this happened AFTER bath time), he seemed better.  I then checked his temperature which was 101.1.  They told us if it got over 101 to call immediately.  That is what I did, and I again got to talk directly to Dr. Shellenberger.    Everything including the fever was because of the infection, but the most important thing he was worried about was keeping him hydrated.  Of course, we were as well.  All I could think about was about a year ago this time taking Preston to the hospital for his dehydration... it was HORRIBLE, and we didn't want to relive.  We worked on getting him hydrated then put him to bed.  I went into his room twice in the middle of the night just to check on him.  He never even budged.  I woke him up at 6 AM hoping that if he felt fine, he would just go back to bed in my room.  Oh man was I wrong.  He was WIDE awake and ready to play.  Luckily, he downed some milk first thing.  I tried to get him to eat, but NOTHING went down.  I eventually just gave him the lower dose of the antibiotic the doctor recommended and hoped for the best.  He asked to go to night night around 8:30 AM (which again was weird).  He slept hard until 11.  Because it had been such a long week, Candace and Ava came over that afternoon hoping to cheer Preston (and me) up.  AND man did they... Preston LOVES Ava and was simply amazing that afternoon.  He was just so thrilled to see his "Aba."

Friday was a little hectic getting everything ready for the Christmas festivities taking place at our house... but he was a tough boy!

As of today, he is so much better.  Finally back to normal.  I'm just glad to have this all in our past, and hopefully, move forward with no ear infections.


SIDE NOTE: Yesterday (Monday morning), I was looking at pictures on my camera from Christmas.  Low and behold, Preston had two new teeth popping in (his top canines).  SO on top of the surgery, infection, nausea, the boy also got two teeth- that is a ROUGH week for one little guy (and one very exhausted Mama)!!!