Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It will all work out.

Now that Preston has been well for two weeks (yes, that is right TWO whole weeks without even a sniffle), we decided it was finally time to make the appointment for his tubes.  (Let's also note here that I hope I am not jinxing this child by saying the previous statement).  Because of all of the hospital visits (and glorious 5 day trip to NYC - which I should at this point regret,  but still don't), I have ONE day to take off for the rest of the school yearONE DAY???  Last year, I managed to save all 10 days for my maternity leave at the end of April.  Not one sick/ personal day ALL year.  This year, I can't get enough days.  That being said, I tried to schedule Preston's surgery for our next day off... February 21st.  And surprise- the doctor is off that day.  Then I tired for Spring Break (hoping Preston could even wait that long)- and wouldn't you know it, the doctor is off that entire week as well.  That fact that his daughter attends my school was now working against me.  Not only did I not get the "teacher discount," I would have liked, I now was getting screwed (yes, I said that), by the districts schedule.  Now I appreciate the fact that he is being a good father and staying with his daughter, BUT come on... can't he make MY life easier? 

After calling Brad, my mom, and Candace- AND NONE OF THEM ANSWERING... I just cried (not that that is too much of a shocker to anyone that knows me).  I was so upset about what to do-
1.  Should I find a new ENT? That would require a new initial visit and THEN an appointment for tubes which also couldn't guarantee to be on the days I needed them.
2.  Do I wait until the next, next, next time I have off?  That would be April 22... the day right before the boy's birthday as well as Good Friday... and not to mention the fact that will be THREE months away.
3.  Do I use my day?  That would mean any other time I take off I would be docked pay- and with all of the medical bills we have- that would be just lovely.
4.  Do I take a half day?  Do I go and leave at 7:30 AM (because the surgery is RIGHT down the street from my school)? 

Brad FINALLY called, and after talking to him, he assured me that he could handle taking him by himself.  As a mother, I just couldn't even think about him going into surgery without me being there.  Preston HAS been through so much, many of those instances being so much worse, which makes me think he would be OK without me.  That being said, I also know that Brad is amazing with Preston, and I know based on that, he would be comforted and given anything and everything he could possibly want.  I did schedule the surgery for February 10th.  Brad is taking the day... I am still completely unsure on what to do.  I remember Ava having her surgery.  I stayed with Candace that day.... the little girl was back to normal in no time with VERY little down time.  I've also heard from numerous people about the true ease of the surgery.  I have no clue what to do... which coincidentally... is just another day in the life of motherhood.  There have been SO many things we have just honestly not known what to do- but somehow, no matter what we do, it works out... that's what will happen here... it will just work out.

Aside from the tube issue- life is going great!  Preston is adjusting to Katie's WONDERFULLY!  And the fact that I don't have to wash or make bottles, get the boy dressed in the morning, or worry throughout the day makes the 35-40 minute commute to work a breeze.  Our house is about 2 miles from my school, but Katie lives about 15 minutes away from us.  I have to drive there and back every morning and every afternoon.  Brad leaves for work around 6 every morning and this would add an even longer commute for him... so I will be doing the taking and picking up from here on out.  (Except for those days I have long meetings, etc.).  To be honest, the drive from Katie's to my school and from the school to Katie's is kind of nice.  It is MY "me" time.  It is fifteen minutes where I don't have to worry about bottles, diapers, grading papers, answering email, doing laundry, ANYTHING.  I love my job.  I love my son.  And, of course, I love my husband.  BUT with all of that being said- it is still nice

To wrap things up, The Emerson Family started yet a new family tradition on Sunday night!  A new frozen yogurt shop, Purple Berri, opened up right by our house this past weekend.  We decided to give it a try as we do with all of the things that open up by us.  For being such a big town, where we live, really doesn't offer much for food, dessert, etc.  We all LOVED it... they serve about 10 types of frozen yogurt (all fat free) and a variety of toppings with AMAZING fresh fruit!  You pay by the ounce... which can get pricey (especially with the fruit that weighs more), but it is great, and in moderation, not too bad and not too pricey!  I loved it, Brad loved it, and even more important the littlest guy in our house loved it.  While we were there, we decided that will be our new Sunday night tradition!  Let's just say- I can't wait for Sunday night to roll around:)